Hazardous materials training is required
for all “hazmat employees” under the U.S. DOT hazardous
materials regulations (49 CFR Part 172, Subpart H).
Hazmat training is required within 90 days for new
employees; it must be repeated every three years and
periodically as rules change.
“Hazmat employees” who must assure compliance with
the U.S. DOT hazardous materials regulations, who
read and interpret hazmat rules, sign shipping papers/EPA's
hazardous waste manifests, prepare and offer materials
for transport, or oversee the activities of other
The training requirements can be found here.
They require training in the following subject areas:
(1) General awareness/familiarization
(2) Function-specific training.
(3) Safety training.
(4) Security awareness training.
(5) In-depth security plan training
"A hazmat employee shall receive the training
required by this subpart at least once every three
Training records must include:
(1) The hazmat employee's name;
(2) The most recent training completion date of the
hazmat employee's training;
(3) A description, copy, or the location of the training
materials used to meet the requirements in paragraph
(a) of this section;
(4) The name and address of the person providing the
(5) Certification that the hazmat employee has been
trained and tested
STS offers on site training in small classroom settings
to fit your schedule and will soon have on-line classes
available as well. Give us a call today to set up
your required Hazmat training.